A masonry helper assists a mason who might be working with stone, brick, or tile. They would assist the mason to carry the tools and materials needed for the job and set the location up for the project. They might even help with the mortar and then assist with the site clean-up at the end of each day.
- Location: Ottawa, ON
- Salary$: 25.00 to $28.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
They work as apprentices to learn the job of a brick mason and provide assistance at the same time. It is essential for helpers to be physically dexterous as they need to lift and transport heavy objects quite often. Typically, they are required to complete 2000 hours of apprenticeship work if they want to be eligible for a full-time brick mason job eventually.
Working as a brick mason helper, you do not need to be highly skilled – you need to be interested enough in work to be able to handle its demands on a daily basis and learn on the way.
• Clean work areas using a variety of chemical solutions and polishing machines.
• Take and follow instructions to cut and shape bricks according to each project in question.
• Use power saws and tile cutters to perform cutting and shaping activities.
• Assist in erecting scaffolding and other installation structures.
• Mix, cement, plaster, and grout either manually or by using machines by ensuring that standard mixing formulas are followed.
• Provide support in preparing, installing, repairing and rebuilding tile, brick and stone surfaces.
• Remove damaged tiles, bricks and mortar and clean and prepare surfaces for rebuilding purposes.
• Correct surface imperfections post building duties by removing grout and plaster.
• Perform brick polishing and buffing activities to ensure that the appearance of the surface is perfected.
• Apply grout between joints of tiles and bricks using trowels and sponges.
• Ascertain that sufficient amount of building materials are available in the inventory.
• Arrange for the procurement of special equipment and tools for each building project.
• Move and reposition materials such as marble slabs, using follies, hoists, and cranes.
• Transport materials and tools to work sites and ensure that they are accounted for at the end of the day.
• Perform preventative and general maintenance tasks on building tools and equipment.
No degree, certificate or diploma
1 year to less than 2 years
- Equipment and Machinery Experience
- Mortar and concrete mixers; Concrete saws; Forklift
- Construction Specialization
- Residential; Industrial, commercial and institutional
- Weight Handling
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Work Site Environment
- Outdoors; At heights; Dusty
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Repetitive tasks; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding
- Work Location Information
- Various locations
- Personal Suitability
- Flexibility; Team player; Reliability
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
613-223-6767 Between 08:00 AM and 04:00 PM